The United States Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) seeks to:
- protect the health and value of American agriculture and natural resources
- prevent establishment of exotic animal diseases and exotic plant pests
- develop and advance science-based standards with trading partners to ensure America's agricultural exports are protected from unjustified restriction
APHIS has three divisions:
- Vet Services (VS): restricts some animals and animal products from entering the United States because of the animal health situation in the region of origin
- Biotechnology Regulatory Services (BRS): a science-based federal regulatory framework to protect America's agricultural resources and the broader environment regarding GMOs.
- Plant Protection and Quarantine (PPQ): safeguards U.S. agriculture and natural resources against the entry, establishment, and spread of economically and environmentally significant plant pests, and facilitates the safe trade of agricultural products.
How to apply for a USDA APHIS permit:
- Register via USDA eAuthentication system: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/resources/sa_epermits/eauth-epermits
- Log in: https://epermits.aphis.usda.gov/epermits
- Create new application
VS permitting assistant: https://efile.aphis.usda.gov/s/vs-permitting-assistant
Organisms & Vectors (OV) permit: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/downloads/organisms_and_vectors...
Animal Product Import into US: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/animalhealth/animal-and-animal...
Do I need a BRS permit? https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/biotechnology/am-i-regulated
Plants and Plant products permits: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/planthealth/import-information...
Regulated Plant Pest table: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/planthealth/import-information...
Plant Pests & Diseases page: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/planthealth/plant-pest-and-dis...
Endangered Plant Species regulated by CITES: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/planthealth/import-information...