Items Purchased From a Company: Classification by the Supplier 

The best way to obtain the export classification of a product is to contact its manufacturer, producer or developer (preferably by email). The Office of Trade Compliance (OTC) has created the Export Classification Certification form, which you can provide when contacting the manufacturer, producer or developer of the items, in order to help you obtain the export classification from them. For some companies, you may also find export information directly on their website.

Products created on campus: self-classification by person knowing the characteristics of the products

When producing, developing, or manufacturing an item (commodity, technical data or software), BIS and DDTC encourage self-classification by the person knowing the characteristics of the item, i.e. by the Pitt faculty and/or staff who created the items. If you have any questions or need assistance, contact the OTC.

Commodity Jurisdiction (CJ) - DDTC

If after reviewing the U.S. Munitions List (USML) and then the Commerce Control List (CCL) you are unsure of the Export Jurisdiction of an item or service, contact the OTC. The OTC may request a commodity jurisdiction determination (CJ) to the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC - Department of State) which will determine whether or not the item or service is covered by the U.S. Munitions List (USML) and therefore subject to export controls administered by the U.S Department of States. More information about Commodity Jurisdiction (CJ).

Commodity Classification Request - BIS 

If you do not succeed in assigning a classification number in the Commerce Control List to your item, the OTC may request an official ECCN classification to BIS via BIS-748P form. Classification requests are processed within three to four weeks but vary on a case-by-case basis. More information about Commodity Classification.